WE NEED THE GOVERNMENT'S SUPPORT TO KEEP HIGH QUALITY ECE AFFORDABLE
Posted on 05/09/2017 by Karen Craig (NZK)
- The government funding to ECE services was cut in 2011. The rates paid to services employing 80% - 100% qualified teachers were removed. This meant services employing 100% qualified teachers only received enough funding for 80% qualified teachers – 4 out of 5 teachers.
- As kindergarten employs 100% qualified teachers, the funding cut was significant. The rate kindergartens receive today is lower than it was in July 2008.
- Services under pressure need to spend less and generate more. Most young families have limited budgets and can’t afford ECE fee increases.
- Kindergartens can’t keep absorbing rising costs while employing 100% qualified teachers – we need to be funded fairly to provide high quality ECE.
- The government says it’s putting more funding into ECE but that only covers higher numbers of enrolments, not more funding for each child.